[ZODB-Dev] Accessing Plone through ZEO back door?

Kirby Urner kirby at 4dsolutions.net
Sun Aug 22 15:07:54 EDT 2004

>>My fantasy is: I do something through the web interface (e.g. add a
>>new Document object to a folder), and right away I'm able to do
>>something through the Python interpreter that lets me see this change
>>in the ZODB. Alternatively, I could programmatically do something
>>through the Python interpreter that would affect what a user sees
>>through the web interface (I could even add another Document).
>>

>This is how it works, provided you understand that transactions are
>isolated from each other (and connections need to be sync()ed to see
>changes done by another client).

OK, thanks Christian. I feel my understanding has much improved:
the Python interpreter and the Zope instance are both Zeo clients,
sharing the same ZODB and (optionally) the same Product-defining
Python modules (Kapil showed me how to set that up -- many thanks).

My next fantasy is finding some sample code wherein a Zope/Plone
user defines a Document object in a Folder through the web, and
the Python instance sees it, and modifies it in some way -- something
along those lines, complete with syncing or whatever is required.

Perhaps by continuing to lurk on this list, code snippets of that
nature will go by (is this a realistic hope -- the kind of thing ya'll
do in the ordinary course of events? -- I should delve into the archives
more). Or if there's some dynamite tutorial out there which spells
it all out, I'd be most grateful for an URL or two.

>>Expert psychotherapy would be appreciated.
>>

>That's really stretching our realm of expertise; we're only supposed to
>be doing simple lobotomies.
>
>Take care,

As we beer drinkers say: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me
than a prefrontal lobotomy.

Kirby