[ZODB-Dev] weak references?

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at zope.com
Mon Feb 2 22:42:22 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 14:23, Bob Ippolito wrote:
> Does ZODB have any support for something like a weak reference?  I have
> a few ideas for applications that I'd like to develop using ZODB, and
> some of them may benefit from weak references.  Of course, they're not
> necessary, but I think it could simplify things.

Funny that you ask now.  Jim implemented a version recently that is
slated for ZODB 3.3.  It's in CVS, perhaps on a branch, but was not in
the last alpha release.

Can you tell us about the use cases for weak references?  A persistent
weak reference is a bit of an odd thing.  It doesn't go away until the
object is unreachable in the database (as opposed to unreachable in the
current process).  Is that what you had in mind?

Jeremy