[Webware-discuss] Re: [ZODB-Dev] Webkit Threading and ZODB 3. 3a2: problems on Windows

Matt Feifarek matt at dalchemy.com
Thu Feb 19 14:28:50 EST 2004

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 02:17:59PM -0500, Geoffrey Talvola wrote:
| No.  A servlet will be used in one thread to handle a request, then it will
| be put back into the servlet pool, and later it will be used in another
| thread to handle another request.  This is the same on every platform --
| Linux, Windows, whatever.  A servlet instance is never used by more than one
| thread at the SAME TIME, but it is definitely used by more than one thread
| over the lifetime of the servlet instance.

I stand corrected. Thanks, Geoff.

| It seems to me that as long as you're not storing ZODB-managed data IN the
| servlet instance somehow, this would cause no problems.

We are keeping a reference to ZODB-managed data throughout awake/sleep,
but we always nullify it before sleep is done. (We set all zodb and
object references to None) When the servlet goes back to the pool, it
should have no references to any zodb stuff, unless zodb is sneaking
something in via some of its deep-magic plumbing.

Thanks for the help.