[ZODB-Dev] BDBMinimal with Zope 2.7b3

Barry Warsaw barry at zope.com
Mon Jan 5 14:37:28 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 14:17, Matt Hubbard wrote:
> This summer I tried unsuccessfully to get BDBMinimalStorage to work
> with Zope 2.7b2.  Something about last transaction id not being
> specified in the minimal mode. . .  I was wondering whether or not it
> will work now with beta 3.
>
> Essentially, I need a storage solution that will not create a copy of
> current objects when it is packed (like FileStorage does).  If BDBFull
> packs without data replication that will work for me.  Any help would
> be appreciated.  I have a terabyte that I plan on filling and I can't
> afford (in disk space) the duplication that FileStorage requires when
> it packs.

I haven't tried BDBMinimal in a while, but I don't remember seeing any
bugs the last time I tried it, or more recently, ran the test suite.  If
you can generate a traceback, I'd be interested in seeing it.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "will not create a copy of current
objects when it is packed".  I'm guessing you're complaining about the
temp file that FileStorage creates and then rotates to during its pack
phase.  If this is your chief concern, then BDBFull ought to alleviate
them.  It does all its packing "in-situ", meaning within the same
BerkeleyDB tables that it uses for its live operation.  It doesn't need
to make copies of anything.

HTH,
-Barry