[ZODB-Dev] mkzeoinst.py without ZOPE

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at zope.com
Wed Jan 7 16:08:37 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 13:01, John Belmonte wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The ZEO/start.py script has disappeared in ZODB 3.3a2, so I'm trying to
> figure out the config system.  I'm assuming that a config file is the
> only way to enable daemon mode, set the log file, etc.

Actually, daemon mode is a bit different.  Running runzeo.py will run a
ZEO server.  Running it under the control of zdaemon will run it as a
daemon program.

This is covered in the documentation in two places: Doc/ZEO/howto.txt
and Doc/zdctl.txt.  The former explains how to run ZEO in general.  The
latter explains how to use zdctl to run ZEO as a daemon.

> I tried running mkzeoinst.py, but it gives the error "Can't find the
> Zope home (not in sys.path)", obviously because I'm not a Zope user.
>  From my understanding, the necessary stuff from Zope has been included
> in the ZODB package, so it seems like this tool needs to be improved.

The mkzeoinst.py script doesn't work, and fixing it is a very low
priority unfortunately.  I suppose we should probably remove it if no
one volunteers to fix it before the beta release.  It's a low priority
because no one at ZC uses it to create Zope instances.  IIRC, it creates
a ZEO server that uses the same software as Zope, which can cause
serious problems during conflict resolution.  (If you're unlucky, Zope
or CMF can decide to startup inside your ZEO server.)

Jeremy