[ZODB-Dev] RE: [Zope-Coders] revising layout of ZODB3 checkout

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fred at zope.com
Thu Jan 8 23:51:03 EST 2004

Jeremy Hylton writes:
 > It was convenient when we had to support multiple versions of Python,
 > because you could have multiple builds from a single checkout.  I still
 > find that useful, because I use Python 2.3 and CVS Python.

That's a good reason to make sure the distutils defaults are still
good enough.

 > I'm also resistant to build_ext -i, because it's not the distutils
 > default.

The current ZODB3 layout works because it matches what distutils
expects; I don't see any motivation to change it.

 > We're soon going to be supporting Zope2 and Zope3 with ZODB3, and Zope2
 > and Zope3 don't have the same layout.  I'd rather use the Zope3 layout;
 > I like it better.

Whether or not the ZODB3 layout mirrors either of the Zope layouts
isn't important to either Zope, since it's handled using repolinks to
the Python packages and not whatever directory contains them.

I like the Zope 3 layout better as well.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fred at zope.com>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation