[ZODB-Dev] RE: [Zope-Coders] revising layout of ZODB3 checkout

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Fri Jan 9 01:04:20 EST 2004

[Fred L. Drake, Jr.]
> The current ZODB3 layout works because it matches what distutils
> expects; I don't see any motivation to change it.

The motivation is what Jeremy said at the very start:  on the zodb-dev list,

    I ran the tests and they were OK.  Then I tried "import ZODB",
    but it blew up with "ImportError: No module named cPersistence" --
    eh?

is the most frequent of FAQs, from people using a ZODB3 checkout.  That
problem doesn't exist if you do "build_ext -i", but does if you use "build".
OTOH, unlike as in Zope2 and Zope3, ZODB3's test.py doesn't work if you use
"build_ext -i".

So you can either run tests from a ZODB3 checkout now, or use ZODB, but
doing both at the same time is an obscure art (I figured it out once, but it
was so tedious that now I just blow the current build away and rebuild using
the other method when switching between "test" and "use" modes).