[ZODB-Dev] RE: [Zope-Coders] Re: revising layout of ZODB3 checkout

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Fri Jan 9 12:23:21 EST 2004

[Philipp von Weitershausen]
> I cannot say anything about ZODB side of things; I have, however,
> advertised subversion for more than half a year now. Now that you guys
> are doing a major rearrangement in in the ZODB,

What Jeremy has in mind is actually minor fiddling.

> why not switch to subversion altogether?

Because that's 1000 times more work than what Jeremy has in mind <wink>.
Something not yet widely known is that ZODB3 HEAD is identical to Zope HEAD
now, to the extent that they intersect.  We recently gave up any pretense of
keeping ZODB3 independent of Zope at the repository level, although tricks
are played to make the layouts "look different", and the ZODB3 module can
still be checked out on its own.  So, at this point, moving ZODB3 to
Subversion is of a piece with moving Zope to Subversion -- unless another
task is introduced to break the connection again.

> I am sure aware of the problems. ZODB 3.3 needs to be both in Zope
> HEAD and Zope 3. Zope HEAD won't be migrated to subversion (that was
> the plan, as described in my proposal
> http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/MovingSCMToSubversion) and we will always
> find an excuse not to migrate Zope 3.

Alas, infrastructure usually gets the short end of the stick.

> Sorry, guys, if I'm getting on your nerves with it. I just feel like I
> have to bring it up every so often, otherwise nobody else will and
> we'll never get rid of the CVS cruft.

That's OK!  I haven't used Subversion, but on paer it looks better than CVS
to me on several counts.  So it's probably a good thing to keep pushing.