[ZODB-Dev] Re: [Zope-Coders] Re: revising layout of ZODB3 checkout

Ken Manheimer klm at zope.com
Fri Jan 9 13:16:31 EST 2004

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

> I cannot say anything about ZODB side of things; I have, however,
> advertised subversion for more than half a year now. Now that you guys
> are doing a major rearrangement in in the ZODB, why not switch to
> subversion altogether? Plus, subversion keeps track of file copy and
> move actions (when you use 'svn cp' and 'svn mv', respectively).

We are aiming at doing so, and have been expending some effort to do
so, as available.  (Eg, jim has revised the contributor agreement to
not specifically mention Zope 3, and i've refactored my
notification-and-other-extras provisions to make it easier to maintain
and use with any scm.)

> I am sure aware of the problems. ZODB 3.3 needs to be both in Zope HEAD
> and Zope 3. Zope HEAD won't be migrated to subversion (that was the
> plan, as described in my proposal
> http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/MovingSCMToSubversion) and we will always find
> an excuse not to migrate Zope 3. It'll either be a geddon, a sprint, or
> something else going on.

That's well and good, but the reality is not lack of will, but
overwhelming lack of time to do the necessary things.

> Sorry, guys, if I'm getting on your nerves with it. I just feel like I
> have to bring it up every so often, otherwise nobody else will and we'll
> never get rid of the CVS cruft.

If it's any consolation, some things are happening.  Not quickly,
though, almost certainly not in time for the ZODB restructuring.

It *is* possible we could arrange things to get outside help with the
migration, if you or someone else is interested i chipping in.  It
might be frustrating for whoever steps forward, though, because some
oversight from us is necessary to preserve features, and our (my)
availability is low enough that you (for some "you") might be blocked
even if you're ready to jump.

Anyone who's interested, contact me and jim.

Ken
klm at zope.com