[ZODB-Dev] zodb and ntp ?

Toby Dickenson tdickenson at geminidataloggers.com
Wed Jan 14 12:00:24 EST 2004

On Wednesday 14 January 2004 16:51, Julián Muñoz wrote:
> I am going to install a ntpd client on a server where zope is running
> (it's a zope 2.4 version).
>
> My question is: as ntpd changes the system clock from time to time, could
> this provoque errors in Zope (due to the fact that the zodb database
> records the time, and sometimes doing tests changing the time I've seen
> some warning messages about zope detecting a future time).

There were some bugs is FileStorage that could cause hard corruption if the
time went backwards, but all those were fixed long before 2.4.

You dont need to worry if your clock steps by a few minutes.

You may have some problems if you commit a transaction with your clock set 1
month in the future, then correct it. ZODB timestamps never go backwards, so
all transactions then have almost exactly the same timestamp until real time
catches up with the incorrect timestamp.

--
Toby Dickenson