[ZODB-Dev] Standalone ZODB+ZEO installs

zodb-dev at netchan.cotse.net zodb-dev at netchan.cotse.net
Sat Jan 17 16:08:31 EST 2004

> I might even go so far as to
> suggest that ZODB/ZEO adopt the same 'configure; make; make
> install' procedure under UNIX that Zope has;

I'd love this. Zope's independence from the actual Python installation
helps _a lot_ for me.

Btw, here is what I finally did on Windows (thanks for the suggestions):
- extracted the PLATLIBS folder from ZODB3-3.2.win32-py2.3.exe to a
choosen folder (SOFTWARE_HOME). I don't have Visual C++, so can't
compile ZEO and Zope from source.

>From here the steps are almost the same what mkzeoinst.py shoud do:
- created the bin, etc, log, var directories in another folder
(INSTANCE_HOME)
- created the bin/runzeo.bat and etc/zeo.conf

bin/runzeo.bat:
----------------
set SOFTWARE_HOME=d:\Dev\ZODB3.2
set INSTANCE_HOME=d:\Dev\zeoinst
set PYTHON=d:\Dev\Python23\python.exe
set CONFIG_FILE=%INSTANCE_HOME%\etc\zeo.conf
set PYTHONPATH=%SOFTWARE_HOME%
set ZEO_RUN=%SOFTWARE_HOME%\ZEO\runzeo.py
"%PYTHON%" "%ZEO_RUN%" -C "%CONFIG_FILE%" %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7

etc/zeo.conf:
-------------
%define INSTANCE_HOME d:\Dev\zeoinst

<zeo>
  address 127.0.0.1:9999
  read-only false
  invalidation-queue-size 100
  # monitor-address PORT
  # transaction-timeout SECONDS
</zeo>

<filestorage main>
  path $INSTANCE_HOME/var/Data.fs
</filestorage>

This works fine, I can test ZEO stuff on Windows now and can replace
Pythons without reinstalling ZEO.

Regards,
Sandor