[ZODB-Dev] Re: [Zope-Checkins] CVS:ZODB3/ZODB/FileStorage -fspack.py:1.3

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Mon Jan 19 15:51:16 EST 2004

[John Belmonte]
> Is "no changes have been made since the last pack" really an error in
> the first place?

Eye of the beholder.  The last pack time isn't stored in the database, so
the implementation can't tell whether you're trying an earlier pack time
than you used before, or that you simply tried to pack to a time when
nothing new can be reclaimed.  The text of the exception message simply
tells the truth about that.  If I'm packing because I expect to reduce file
size, then yes, it's exceptional to me if my attempt won't accomplish
anything.