[ZODB-Dev] Is anyone *actually* using ZODB versions?

Paul Browning paul.browning at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Jan 27 15:32:10 EST 2004

--On 27 January 2004 13:38 -0500 Tim Peters <tim at zope.com> wrote:

> I'll note that when Jeremy started adding non-trivial test cases for
> versions, it revealed that lots of stuff plain didn't work right in
> the presence of versions.  I hate to think that we spent all that
> time fixing a feature nobody uses, but I'd hate even more to continue
> fixing a feature nobody uses (e.g., versions complicated the MVCC
> work too, of course).

Well having advocated, some years ago, the adoption of Zope as a CMS
within the UK university sector - and used its versioning as
one of the selling points - I suppose I ought to say something
rather than just lurk.

Versions turned out to be problematic - and something at Bristol that
we learned not to use. Maybe it was exacerbated by our need to fairly
frequently pack the database.

So, I guess losing something that is broken is not losing much - except
my own definition of a "content management system" is that something
that should support versioning.

But hey, my own definition of a "content management system" also
includes workflow - and Zope doesn't have that - but the CMF does.

So perhaps versioning needs to remain a Zopeish aspiration, but it
should
be done by something that is not the ZODB.

Paul

--
 The Library, Tyndall Avenue, Univ. of Bristol, Bristol, BS8 1TJ, UK
   E-mail: paul.browning at bristol.ac.uk  URL: http://www.bris.ac.uk/