[ZODB-Dev] Scalable Container for Log-Entries

Steve Alexander steve at z3u.com
Wed Jan 28 05:16:44 EST 2004

Thomas Guettler wrote:
> Hi!
>
> How would you code a scalable container which holds
> log-entries ordered by the time the data was inserted into
> the container.
> Any hints welcome,

I'd use the python logging module, and write that to a file, or use
syslog. Then, I'd use a separate system to read that file.

If you include a transaction id in each log entry, and you also log
transaction commits and aborts, you can reconstruct what took place.
Doing this is particularly useful if you want to log errors or other
things that cause a transaction to abort. Also, it doesn't cause
contention in your ZODB.

--
Steve Alexander