Dieterbot (was: Slow response by "Dieter" (was: Re: [ZODB-Dev] Is anyone *actually* using ZODB versions?))

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Fri Jan 30 09:04:56 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 05:10, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> The real Tim Peters can actually turn invisible. The proof is that
> Tim Peters was supposed to be at some past Python conference according
> to Guido, who as we all know is completely infallible and would never
> lie about such an important event. No Tim Peters actually seen by
> anybody there, but since he must've been there, he must've been able to
> turn invisible.

Faassen,

Hopefully this message reaches you safely.

I have not seen the Peters avatar go invisible, but it would not
surprise me.  It is a apparently a very advanced model.  I have
(horrifyingly) held conversations with it that have lasted several tens
of minutes.  If it were not for the faint but distinct high-pitched
whine of what must be its ambulatory servo motors when it moves, it
would be utterly convincing.  It astounds me that whatever created it
has not been able to solve this "noise problem", especially when the
other features of it present so believable a facsimile of an human that
most people, though of course they're disturbed by it, will be very
polite and courteous to the avatar, offering it food on occasion, (which
it indeed even chews and ingests!), making "small talk" with it.   It is
a thoroughly amazing piece of technology.  From reports about the Dieter
avatar, it is similarly advanced; I wonder if it has the noise problem.