[ZODB-Dev] ZODB 3.3 beta 1 released

Fred Drake fred at zope.com
Tue Jun 8 00:38:35 EDT 2004

On Monday 07 June 2004 09:44 pm, Tim Peters wrote:
 > No, they're still in setup.py's scripts list.  I didn't change anything
 > here.  However, as NEWS said, this is the first release to get packaged
 > with zpkgtools, and I think ZODB's setup.py may be irrelevant to what gets
 > installed now.  I'm copying Fred Drake, as he will understand this better
 > than I do.

Tim's right; the setup.py in the ZODB Subversion repository is used only for
working with a checkout.  I'll be working on making things more similar in
the two environments to avoid accidental differences.

 > Note that the two scripts you named here aren't really part of ZODB, they
 > come from the distinct zdaemon package.  Whether they've fallen out of
 > favor in the zdaemon world is something I don't know, but, regardless, I
 > believe ZODB's installation of zdaemon components now inherits zdaemon's
 > beliefs about how it should be installed.  That's part of the purpose of
 > moving to zpkg (consistent installation of shared packages across
 > higher-level releases).

I'm not aware of any direct application of the zdctl.py / zdrun.py "scripts";
all applications I'm familiar with treat these as library code.

If there are external requirements for these scripts, it will be easy enough
to keep them available; let me know and I'll make the necessary changes to
the zdaemon package.

 > > For POSIX people this means the commands have vanished from /usr/bin/.
 > > Given the concern in <http://collector.zope.org/Zope/1312> about
 > > compatibility, this seems strange.  The change breaks the daemon scripts
 > > of my own application.

Ok, that settles it.  I'll get them back into zdaemon tomorrow so whenever Tim
releases another beta they should be back.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fred at zope.com>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation