[ZODB-Dev] zodb-dev list policies

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com
Wed Jun 23 20:52:31 EDT 2004

At 01:14 AM 20/06/2004 -0400, Tim Peters wrote:
>Over on the zope and zope-dev lists, there's currently agitation to make
>them members-only mailing lists.  The point is that spam could not get thru
>then (unless posted by a member).
>
>What would zodb-dev members like?
>
>Posting by a list member would not be affected, unless you attempted to send
>a message from an email account other than one you subscribed with.  In the
>latter case, your message would be bounced back to you.
>
>You could worm around that by subscribing to zodb-dev with that address too,
>then going to your list membership page on the web and checking the box to
>suspend email delivery on that account.  Then you could post using that
>account too, but wouldn't also get zodb-dev email on that account.
>
>I'm the list admin for zodb-dev, and don't have a preference.  If you do,
>and it's strong enough to scream it, shout.  The loudest screamer will win
><wink>.  By default, I won't change the current policy (anyone can post
>here, member or not).

Hello Tim,

Since you asked, I will send the same thing that I have already sent to you
privately in response to this message hoping that it would sway those who
may not see the value of subscribers only posting.

I co-admin an unmoderated Mailman list with over 1000 subscribers from all
over the world. Our list has been subscriber posting only since day one and
only the list admins can query the list subscriber database. Last year,
when we had *one* piece of spam get through, we had about 20 messages
complaining about it which should give you an idea of how infrequently we
receive spam on that list. The spam got through as result of a simple
finger fumble on my part where instead or "Reject", I had clicked on "Approve".

After keeping track of how much of the mail that was being held for
approval was spam vs. how much of it was from legit subscribers who
happened to be posting from different email addresses or posting to the
wrong list address, we found that under 5% was legit. Our list, like the
Zope list, targets developers. If a developer is so clueless as to not
understand that they have to post from the *exact* address they subscribed
from, I have little sympathy for them. I think all you need to do is to
make it clear on the subscription page that if one wants to post from
multiple addresses, one should subscribe from all those addresses and set
all but one to NOMAIL. Posting from ANY other address will result in their
mail not getting through. This has worked marvelously for us. We do not
even reject mail from non-subscribers any more. We simply discard it.
Rejecting mail from spammers is futile because you end up getting the
bounce messages to your list admin address. Of course it is only a matter
of time before spammers realize that all they have to do is to subscribe to
lists and spam away but until then, this works.

I am sure you have better things to do than to baby sit the list so
anything that reduces the amount of effort you have to put into
administering the list is a good thing. Cheers and keep up the good work!

Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis Corporation
3266 Yonge Street, Suite 1419