[ZODB-Dev] ZODB3.3.0b1 and ExtensionClass?

Christian Robottom Reis kiko at async.com.br
Fri Jun 25 13:57:26 EDT 2004

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 12:23:46PM -0400, Tim Peters wrote:
> > Being unable to find an ExtensionClass package, I pulled the code from
> > svn head, compiled and installed it.
>
> Which SVN trunk?  ZODB's?  Then that won't work.  The Zope trunk still
> includes and compiles ExtensionClass code, but that's no longer part of
> ZODB.

No, there's no EC in ZODB SVN trunk. I pulled it from
Zope/lib/python/ExtensionClass.

I managed to compile and install this fine, but getting the ZODB-3.3.x
beta to use it to compile Persistence, well, exceeds my zpkgtool skills.
The thing bewitches me.

I had indeed read [.. somewhere elusive, apparently ..] and was left
with the impression that if I needed to I could get EC independently and
use them together. If it is indeed as difficult to use together as I
found it, we should warn people to stay off this path, for there lie
dragons and segmentation faults.

Maybe that's what this email stuck in the message archive is going to be
useful for <wink>.

> > So I'm at a point where I want to understand my alternatives.
> >
> >     a) Is ZODB-3.3 + ExtensionClass broken right now, or do I need to
> >        learn the magical incantations that will make it fly?
>
> ZODB on its own doesn't intend to support ExtensionClass anymore.  If you
> *need* to get 3.3 working with ExtensionClass, I personally don't know
> details about how, but what's needed should be available from Zope's SVN
> trunk.

Thanks. I assume this means using stuff from lib/python as in

    http://svn.zope.org/Zope/trunk/lib/python/

I guess this is sort of a dead end for me, then, since I don't want to
be depending on something that's this hard to get running.

> > I'm leaning towards b) after spending a morning chasing compile and
> > import errors all over the place. Anybody had similar problems moving on
> > to 3.3?
>
> Not me <wink>.  Seriously, if you can wean yourself from EC, that would be a
> Good Thing.  EC doesn't play well (or at all) with newer Python features,
> and is being phased out.

Will take that option, then. Hopefully it's not too hard to find out how
to subclass Persistent in C -- I'll trawl through the BTrees code to see
if anything major has changed. Thanks for taking the time.

Take care,
--
Christian Robottom Reis | http://async.com.br/~kiko/ | [+55 16] 3361 2331