[ZODB-Dev] ZODB3.3.0b1 and ExtensionClass?

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Fri Jun 25 14:53:43 EDT 2004

[Tim Peters]
>> Jim, trying to import Persistence using current ZODB 3.3 yields this
>> message, where #2 now appears to be quite a project (to judge from
>> Christian's lack of luck so far):

[Jim Fulton]
> <shrug>
>
> We could bother separately packaging a new-style-EC-based Persistence if
> anyone wants it.

OK, so there *isn't* such a package now.  That's part of what we (Christian
and I) have been trying to figure out.  If there isn't such a package, then
the message claiming that there is such a package should be changed.

Since Christian is the first to ask about it, but doesn't seem to believe he
needs it, I don't feel a crushing need to supply such a package; I do feel a
need to make the warning message accurate (I'm guessing this message is the
source of Christian's "... I ... was left with the impression that if I
needed to I could get EC independently and use them together", attempting to
follow up on which has cost him considerable frustration).

> I suspect that Christian's biggest problems are due to the fact that
> new-style EC's are subclasses differently from old-style ECs.  Unless he
> really needs EC features (e.g. __of__ or __class_init__), he should
> switch to using new-style classes.
>
> BTW, there are a fair number of examples of persistent.Persistent
> subclasses, including BTrees and

http://svn.zope.org/Zope3/trunk/src/zope/app/container/_zope_app_container_c
ontained.c?rev=25177&view=log