[ZODB-Dev] Re: BTrees strangeness (was [Zope-dev] Zope 2.X BIG Session problems - blocker - our site dies - need help of experience Zope developer, please)

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at zope.com
Wed Mar 3 15:50:39 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 15:28, Chris McDonough wrote:
> This will use a FileStorage to back the sessioning database instead of a
> TemporaryStorage.  This database file will grow and grow and grow,
> unlike a TemporaryStorage, which does garbage collection of unused nodes
> and stores its data in RAM.  But temporarily, I think it would be fine
> and if you continue to see the error, it would assure me that
> TemporaryStorage is doing its job properly.

That's an interesting thought.  We have a lot of stress tests for
concurrent BTrees updates using ZEO and perhaps using just a storage.  I
wonder how ugly it would be to adapt some of them to run with a
TemporaryStorage.  Some kind of invalidation-related bug in the storage
would definitely explain the behavior.

Jeremy