[ZODB-Dev] ZODB packing error

Marius Gedminas mgedmin at b4net.lt
Tue Mar 30 12:01:02 EST 2004

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 11:38:55AM -0700, Ollie Eisman wrote:
> I was testing a cron script to automatically pack the ZODB and noticed
> that after a few "packs" that some chunks of my Plone 2.0 RC2 web site
> had vanished. Luckily I had a backup copy of Data.fs but this data loss
> event concerns me a lot. Has anyone else had a similar problem?
> I am using Zope 2.6.2.

I've had a similar problem.  I believe I also used Zope 2.6.2 at the time.

When you pack your database with 0 day history (which is very helpfully
the default setting in the ZMI), some objects are likely to disappear.
This happens they were they are only referenced from a transaction that
was not yet committed during the pack.  It is not specific to 0-day
packs, but it is more likely in this case.

I got the impression that this bug was fixed in a latter version, but
I'm not sure which one.  I hope one of the ZODB gurus will clarify the
situation.

Marius Gedminas
--
I dont know about madness (and anyway, the little green martians dancing
around me tell me not to worry...), but I've implemented something not