[ZODB-Dev] accessing the ZODB through External Methods

Zachary Butikofer Zachary.Butikofer at sdl.usu.edu
Tue Mar 30 17:03:49 EST 2004

I am working on a database application that allows me to view, and manipulate data over a web page.  Here is a brief summary of how it works:

1.  Zope Page Templates pass arguments to External Methods (This works)
2.  External Methods pass arguments to Zope Page Templates(This works)
3.  The External Methods import my custom built classes and create instances of them (This works)
4.  The External Methods "import ZODB.config" (This works)
5.  The problem comes when I try to connect to the datbase using the the functions:
     "connection = db.open()"
     "connection.close()"
      Zope will not run at this point.  My web page gives me the error:
Error Type: IOError
Error Value: [Errno 11] Resource temporarily unavailable

I am guessing that somehow the ZODB and Zope are stomping on each other's feet.

6.  The funny thing is that I can interact with the ZODB easily on the server side with out any problems.  I thought that External Methods were supposed to allow you to program python scripts on the server side without Zope interfering.  Note: that between Zope page templates and the External Methods I only pass strings.  I do not pass any kind of object or class instance.

I am using Zope-2.7.0 and  ZODB-3.2.1 and Python 2.3.3

Is there a better way to store customized objects in the ZODB?  I like the idea of using objects with ZODB instead of mapping objects to a relational datbase like MySQL .

Thanks for your help

-Zach