[ZODB-Dev] Error message with simple ZODB usage

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Mon Nov 1 14:44:45 EST 2004

[kw]
> Thanks very much for the detailed help and explanations on logging, base
> constructor, and string concatenation, they're much appreciated.  It's
> not clear which online document is the "best" guide to the ZODB so
> comments by an expert are doubly valuable. For example, AMK's handy wiki
> ZODB guide doesn't seem to mention using the db.close() method.

Andrew hasn't had updated his guide in a couple years.  The (LaTeX) source
for the version here:

    http://zope.org/Wikis/ZODB/FrontPage/guide/index.html

is part of ZODB's repository, and updated only by me now (but infrequently,
due to lack of time).  I try to keep it not too grossly inaccurate <wink>.

It's the best guide I know of.  ZODB is severely "underdocumented".

Jim Fulton wrote a paper on ZODB for a Python conference in 2000, which is
still the best source for "deeper" info.  There are links to HTML and PDF
versions on:

    http://zope.org/Wikis/ZODB/FrontPage

Look for "Jim presented".

There's also a link there to UML models for ZODB, which were probably
accurate at one time (although before my time ...).  Unfortunately, they
never get updated, and it's hard to navigate (or, sometimes, even to make
sense of) the funky 4-pane layout.

> Are there canonical usages of the ZODB that a newbie should study, to
> understand by examples how best to use it?  e.g. where in the Z3 codebase
> are good places to look?

Sorry, I don't know.  Zope (whether Z2 or Z3) is a complex application, wrt
which explicit ZODB use is a small detail.  So despite that Zope's needs
largely drive ZODB development, it's hard to deduce any of that from staring
at Zope source code.  Browsing zodb-dev's archives is probably more useful!