[ZODB-Dev] finding POSKeyErrors

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Tue Nov 9 21:17:17 EST 2004

[Gerry Kirk]
> I've cleaned up a few of these, but I'd like to find them all before
> doing a pack (or does it matter?).

I think I've pointed you at this before:

    http://zope.org/Wikis/ZODB/FileStorageBackup

As it says, packing is not an error recovery procedure.  If you're having
problems, packing is unlikely to help, and may hurt.

> Is there a way I can scan the db for them? fsrefs.py doesn't detect them.

It's the purpose of fsrefs to find references to missing objects.  If fsrefs
has no complaints, then you cannot get a POSKeyError from accessing the
current revision of any non-versioned object in the database.  If you're
accessing versioned objects, then (a) that's unusual (few people use
versions); and, (b) no tool exists to check versioned objects.