[ZODB-Dev] zope.interface, zope.testing

Dmitry Vasiliev lists at hlabs.spb.ru
Mon Oct 11 12:08:14 EDT 2004

Tim Peters wrote:
> [Dmitry Vasiliev]
>
>>What the best way to update ZODB/src/zope packages?
>
> Benign neglect has worked well so far <wink>.

Not so well... :-) Try 'python test.py -B' for example.

>>ZODB/src/zope/interface, ZODB/src/zope/testing packages seems to be
>>outdated...
>
> Yes.  If you want to change that, the first thing to do is "svn switch" to
> the current Zope3 versions, and run the --all ZODB tests, to make sure
> everything still works.  Then (very important!) "svn switch" back to ZODB's
> versions.  After that your sequence is almost right:

Wow, I forgot about svn's 'switch' feature.

>>$ svn rm src/zope/interface
>>$ svn rm src/zope/testing
>
> At this point you have to commit.  That's where checkin messages like
> "Preparing to stitch in current versions of x, y, z" come from.  svn gets
> unhappy if you try to do both rm and cp before you commit.
>
>>$ svn cp ../Zope3/src/zope/interface src/zope
>>$ svn cp ../Zope3/src/zope/testing src/zope
>
> And at this point (of course) you need to commit again.

I've removed 'svn ci' from my sequence for compactness. :-)

> Note that the ZODB trunk is for ZODB 3.4 development at this point.  Bugfix
> releases for 3.3 (3.3.1, 3.3.2, ...) will be developed on the 3.3 branch
> (repos/main/ZODB/branches/3.3).  Like all the other "module stitching" under
> SVN, the copies of src/zope pieces under ZODB trunk and branch are
> independent.  This is easy to see today, because the ZODB 3.3 branch doesn't
> have any src/zope pieces.

So should I update ZODB/zope only on the trunk?
BTW, why just not use 'svn:externals'?

--
Dmitry Vasiliev (dima at hlabs.spb.ru)
     http://hlabs.spb.ru