[ZODB-Dev] Thread safety

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Mon Oct 11 16:48:01 EDT 2004

[Tim Peters]
>> IOW, you'll try something, and it will work or it won't.  If it doesn't
>> work, the resolution will be that you didn't "provide locking" at a
>> correct time in a correct way.  That's OK by me <wink>.

[Dmitry Vasiliev]
> Ok, but if "it doesn't work" the debugging will be nightmare... :-)

Yes it will!  Collector 1350 is a good recent example of (what turned out in
part to be) a thread problem, which probably consumed a person-month of
debugging time in all (including the non-thread bits of it).  And I spent
much of this weekend tracking down & repairing what turned out to be thread
bugs in the Python core.  Using threads is plain perilous, compared to not
using threads.  That's not unique to ZODB or Zope, though.