[ZODB-Dev] return of corruption errors

Gerry Kirk gerry at faithonline.com
Tue Oct 19 15:23:26 EDT 2004

Yes

> > The strange thing is, I don't get errors every night.
>
> That's not strange if it *is* a HW (etc) bug.  It would be
> strange if it were a deterministic error in the ZODB/ZEO code.

Yes, but this is on the same, unrepaired Data.fs file. One night, it has
an issue, another night, it doesn't, when running fstest.py. I do agree,
though, that there appears to be an issue here. We installed some memory
about a month back which had some conflict issues and froze up the
system a few times. Since then, I successfully ran fstest.py and
fsrefs.py, then packed the db to 1 day, to a size smaller than where the
current issue is. I've been running those tests on it nightly.

> > Is it possible that the cache files are causing some of these
> > problems? I posted earlier that I was having BadPickleGet and 502
> > response codes until i deleted those files.
>
> Anything's possible here.  BadPickleGet is also a symptom of file (or
> memory) corruption, but inside object pickles.  You can
> replace an object pickle with any string of nonsense bytes
> whatsoever, and that can't hurt anything fstest looks at
> (fstest knows nothing about application objects -- fstest
> doesn't even import the pickle module).  So you're seeing
> corruption both inside pickles, and in the FileStorage "glue"
> that holds pickles together.  To me, that strongly suggests a
> deeper HW/firmware/network/system bug of some kind.  If
> possible, try running your app on a different box?

I no longer had the BadPickleGet error after remove the cache files. I
will look into trying the system on another machine... Will take some
time.

- Gerry