[ZODB-Dev] Transaction note interface

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Tue Sep 7 01:50:51 EDT 2004

Hi.

I agree to the rest you wrote pretty completely.

Am Di, den 07.09.2004 schrieb Tim Peters um 4:31:
> > Well.  Even on cutting back the note, as software or people might rely
> > on them to actually store what you give them or complain.
>
> I don't think so.  AFAICT, these are "write only" gimmicks:  there is no API
> that allows you to *read* this info again.  Indeed, you started this thread
> with the observation that there's no blessed way to retrieve the description
> even from the currently active transaction.  After the transaction is in the
> database, there's nothing in the documented storage API that allows
> retrieving this stuff again.  There are internal tools (like fsdump) that
> retrieve and display the user and description fields via exploiting
> undocumented internals, but AFAIK there's nothing anywhere that displays
> "extended info".  So the transaction meta-info appears to be all in the
> nature of forensic clues in case a database dies or goes insane.

Well. Zope displays the description in the Undo-Log, as does Plone,
which is quite comfortable when havingto undo stuff. Users don't want to
read "Want to undo /root/object1235/xy/manage_delete?"

I always felt like the meta data could be used for some fancy ZODB
enhancements ...

Christian

Christian Theune - ct at gocept.com
gocept gmbh & co.kg - schalaunische strasse 6 - 06366 koethen/anhalt
tel.+49 3496 3099112 - fax.+49 3496 3099118 - mob. 0178 48 33 981