[ZODB-Dev] Re: [Zope-Annce] ZODB 3.2.4 release candidate 1 released

Michael Dunstan michael at looma.co.nz
Tue Sep 7 19:03:52 EDT 2004

On 8/09/2004, at 8:10 AM, Florent Guillaume wrote:

> Tim wrote:
>> I'm pleased to announce the release of ZODB 3.2.4c1.  This
>> corresponds to
>> the ZODB (and ZEO) that we intend to ship with Zope 2.7.3.
> [...]
>> ZODB 3.2.4c1 raises the new ConnectionStateError if an attempt to
>> cloase a connection with pending modifications is made.
>
> I guess ConnectionStateError is now also part of the exceptions that
> should not be caught by a bare except:. Do you think we should change
> the few
>     except ConflictError: raise
> that we added in Zope trunk into a more general
>     except POSError: raise
> ?

My limited understanding is that closing a connection is the only time
you can expect to see a ConnectionStateError. Where as you can expect a
ConflictError anytime you attempt to access a persistent object.

Also worth noting that Zope3 development is (or was?) considering using
something like RuntimeError as the base for POSError(?) and using the
pattern:

     try:
     except RuntimeError:
         raise