[ZODB-Dev] Transaction note interface

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Tue Sep 14 02:23:48 EDT 2004

Hi

Am Mo, den 13.09.2004 schrieb Tim Peters um 22:40:
> Which is why nothing in ZODB can ever be changed <0.7 wink -- "everyone"
> goes outside the documented API>.  Now back to the real question:  as a user
> of Zope and Plone, would you give a rip if an Undo-Log screen cut some
> characters out of the middle of a description that exceeded 64K characters?
> This goes back to "intended use cases", and no description that long was an
> intended use (no, I don't know what the intent was, I just know a few things
> it couldn't have been <wink>).  My guess is that if the first and last few
> entries in a Transaction.note()'s life were preserved, nobody would care if
> entries got dropped in the middle.  If the intended use is as a mnemonic aid
> on a management screen, anything bigger than a line of text is "too much"
> anyway -- a 10K-word document is absurd there.

Ok. What I feel would be the greatest way is something like (this is all
application specific stuff, but we are talking about UI here):

   You deleted XY, ZA and 1234 from the folder FG.

When this grows too long, the application should be able to rephrase:

   You deleted 3 items from folder FG.

Also, I hate it that the data is written as presentation in there,
applications should be using some own datastructure to support I18N for
those messages ...

> anyway.  That applies to .description and .user.  I'd still kill the
> transaction if the ._extension pickle was too big (particularly since
> ._extension appears unused in Zope2, and used only for a few small things in
> Zope3).

I'd think we could get away with this, but should also discuss this more
broadly IMHO. I don't think configuration switches would help here. The
main thing is that you don't want your application to die on something
like this. :/

What about cutting .description and sending a warning to some log file?

Christian

--
Deutschsprachige Zope Usergroup Tagung in München
am 8. und 9. Oktober 2004 - www.dzug.org

Christian Theune - ct at gocept.com - www.gocept.com