[ZODB-Dev] ZODB growing / What triggers a transaction? (Geändert von jdb30570@gmx.net)

jdb30570 at gmx.net jdb30570 at gmx.net
Tue Sep 21 16:48:58 EDT 2004

Hello everyone!

I am the proud owner of a massively growing ZODB. I realized that my
product claims several gigabytes of additional hard disk storage every
day. I can deal with it by packing the database each night, but that is
certainly not the solution.

The problem is: I have custom file and container classes derived from
File and Folder. Each of these inherits from a class called 'UserAware'
which implements user specific features, such as a list of recently
visited items. Everytime a user hits such a container or file through
the web the complete object (including parent objects) is copied in the
database. I am aware of the fact that Persistent traps changes made to
the object and SimpleItem implements the undo feature, but the curious
thing is that calling index_html on these objects does not change their
state nor do I manually flag them (_p_changed=1). The only changes I
commit are those on the user object through methods of UserAware.

What is going on here? I am grateful for any ideas.

Best regards,
Moritz H.

(Configuration: Zope 2.7.0, Python 2.3.2, ZODB.__init__ says
__version__ = 3.2.1)