[ZODB-Dev] nontransactional, oid, and thread safety. oh my!

Toby Dickenson tdickenson at devmail.geminidataloggers.co.uk
Thu Sep 30 05:32:02 EDT 2004

On Thursday 30 September 2004 03:34, Randy wrote:
> I am investigating using ZODB 3.2 for a web based application.  I plan
> to use ZODB with a FileStorage.
>
> I have a first pass implementation up and running; however, I have
> some questions, that maybe the gurus could help me with.
>
> 1)  Is there a way to disable transactions?  My app is write intensive
> and the writes are causing the database to get VERY large, in a short
> period of time.

Theres no way to disable transactions, but thats not what you want anyway.

What I think you want is a way to avoid 'wasting' disk space with old
revisions of objects. You cant do that with FileStorage, but there are
variants of BDBStorage and DirectoryStorage that can.

You may or may not also want to avoid 'wasting' disk space with deleted
objects (that is, objects unreachable from the root object). I think BDB will
reclaim this disk space too.

> I could implement a daily pack() strategy to minimize
> the size, but that's not the solution to fit my problem.

You dont say why not, and its not obvious why.

> Any recommendations from the trenches?

Do what Zope does ;-)

--
Toby Dickenson