[ZODB-Dev] Hanging ZEO-client hangs all other ZEO-clients?

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Thu Apr 14 10:23:38 EDT 2005

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 09:38:39AM +0200, Dario Lopez-K?sten wrote:
> 4) Maintenance. While I have not yet dared to pack the DB, the mere size
> of the database will make packing a non-trivial operation memorywise in
> FielStorage. DirStor does not have the same memory requirements when
> packing.

.... but OTOH, it can take a looooong time to pack.
I have a weekly cron job that packs my ~3 GB DirectoryStorages and
they frequently take well over an hour each.

Full backups take roughly an hour too.  Incremental backups are pretty
quick, e.g. last night's 91 M backup took 1 minute.

I'm a big fan of DirectoryStorage, but in terms of raw speed it's
slower in some ways.  Packing is memory-friendly but slow.
(If

Also you mention issues with incremental backup of Data.fs.
Did you ever try repozo.py? Just mentioning it for completeness.

> 5) POSKeyErrors. We where getting quite a few of those, and that scared
> me. with DirStor, I do not see them as much as before.

I don't see them ever :-)
That was the big motivator for me.

--

Paul Winkler