[ZODB-Dev] strange testConnection error

John Belmonte john at neggie.net
Sat Apr 16 12:12:18 EDT 2005

Tim Peters wrote:
> [John Belmonte]
>
>>Here is the mod_python thread I started on the issue:
>>
>>     http://www.modpython.org/pipermail/mod_python/2005-March/017663.html
>>
>>I haven't made any headway on this-- seems like I have a lot more digging
>>to do.
>

> It is complex.  Note that creating a new interpreter isn't enough by itself
> to put you into restricted execution mode; creating a new interpreter is
> "just" the most likely way to end with unexpected values in sys.modules and
> sys.path.  From there, it's possible too that a function/method object
> created in one interpreter ends up being _executed_ in a different
> interpreter, and then there's some chance that will end up in restricted
> execution mode, and more by accident than by design.  I don't know the
> detailed mechanism by which that can by happen, I just know I've read about
> it about happening, and believed it at the time.
>

>>Is no one out there running a ZEO (3.3.x) app under mod_python 3.1.x?
>

> Not me -- anyone else, please give John a hand here.

Hi,

The consensus on the mod_python mailing list is that this is a bug in
Python 2.4 (which was backported to 2.3.5).  See
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1163563&group_id=5470&atid=105470>.
  The other possibility is that both JEP and mod_python are doing
something bad and Python 2.4 has exposed it.

--John