[ZODB-Dev] issue with new package layout

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Apr 18 05:29:33 EDT 2005

Tim Peters wrote:
> [John Belmonte]
>
>>I'm trying to update my experimental ZODB Debian package to 3.4.0a1. The
>>new change of having version numbers hard-coded in file paths within the
>>source package (e.g. Dependencies/BTrees-ZODB3-3.4.0a1) is very
>>troubling.
>

> Not really new:  for ZODB it started with 3.3b1, last June.  Same kind of
> deal with Zope3 too.
>

>>This means that any patch to the upstream source I try to maintain will
>>surely not apply cleanly on each new release, because file paths will
>>have changed.  I've never seen this kind of practice in a source package.
>>Would you please remove the version numbers from these paths?
>

> You have to talk to Jim (Fulton) about this; it comes with using zpkg:
>
>     http://www.zope.org/Members/fdrake/zpkgtools/

The shape of zpkgtools-based distributions is very unpopular -- and
my fault.  We will probably change this, eventually.

> BTW, don't you install ("setup.py install") ZODB?  There shouldn't be any
> paths containing version numbers in the installed tree.

Right.  I would expect packagers to either package an installed
version or to incorporate the included installer.  Alternatively,
if there is distutils bdist support for Debian, then I would hope
a package could be generated with that using the included install.py.

Jim