[ZODB-Dev] Ordering before commit hooks

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Tue Aug 23 13:33:23 EDT 2005

Tim Peters wrote at 2005-8-22 16:48 -0400:
>Jim still wonders, and he got me wondering too, whether the `order=` gimmick
>is really needed.

But, it is a very easy concept -- both easy to grasp as well as easy
to implement.

> For example, you could have gotten to the same end here
>with the old method, by registering your actions with an object of your own
>creation, and registering just one commit hook with the transaction, where
>that one hook looked at the actions you registered with your own object and
>ran them in whatever order _it_ determined was best.

Now plug and play comes into play:

  Assume two packages developped by independent people
  which all want to control the order of hook execution.

  Each package can proceed as you propose. But, in case
  there are order dependencies, a global ordering is lacking.

  With the "order" gimmick, the global ordering can be
  obtained with a set of parameters, controlled by ZCML.

--
Dieter