[ZODB-Dev] Setting _p_changed on a ghost

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Sun Aug 28 16:24:18 EDT 2005

Tim Peters wrote at 2005-8-26 14:59 -0400:
>Doing
>
>        obj._p_changed = True
>
>when obj is a ghost appears to be senseless (what could a user possibly
>intend by doing this?)

I met this strange behaviour and considered it a bug.

  What I wanted to do: use a ZODB object to synchronize
  caches across a set of ZEO clients.

  The synchronization object is empty but it should get
  a new serial to indicate to other ZEO clients that
  they should flush their cache.

>I would like to make it an error (raise a ValueError exception) to attempt
>to set obj._p_changed to a true value when obj is a ghost.  Does anyone
>object?

It would be better than the current behaviour...

But, why not go a step further and let it behave as one would
expect: let the ZODB write the object at the next "transaction.commit()"?

--
Dieter