[ZODB-Dev] Re: Ordering before commit hooks

Florent Guillaume fg at nuxeo.com
Wed Aug 31 09:40:05 EDT 2005

Jim Fulton wrote:
>> I don't understand why keeping the order paremeter is such a big deal ?
>
> Because it clutters the ZODB API with something that is, fundamentally
> application policy.

Ok seen that way I agree. That's not the ZODB's job to decide what kind of
API is provided to enforce policy.

[...]
>  > But that only works if you have all the code in a single framework. If
>  > Zope had a commit hook, and that CPS wanted to add another one that "ran
>  > after Zope's", there would be no way to do it.
>
> Right, they have to agree on a common API.  With the order gimmic,
> this is a ZODB API. It could as easily be a higher-level API.
>
> Since CPS in built on Zope, it could even be a Zope API that
> CPS used.

Ok. We can go back to a simple API for the ZODB before commit hook (the one
I originally checked in seems enough), but we need to decide what kind of
higher level API we provide at the Zope level. Would an integer order be ok
there ? And where should the code go ?

Florent

+33 1 40 33 71 59   http://nuxeo.com   fg at nuxeo.com