[ZODB-Dev] Re: [Zope] DateTime mess

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Thu Dec 1 12:59:22 EST 2005

[Gary Poster, on pickle "extension codes"]
> Yes, I remembered this, and just refreshed my memory.  This is the last
> mention I see in the archives as to ZODB use of protocol 2 (i.e., it
> doesn't, and prior to Py 2.3.4 it couldn't).
>
> http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zodb-dev/2004-December/008259.html
>
> Is that still accurate--that is, does ZODB still not use protocol 2?

Afraid so, yes.  All current ZODBs still use proto 1.  Given that Python 2.4
is about to be required for the next batch of to-be-current Zopes, and
there's little ZEO compatibility between pre-3.3 ZODB and post-3.3 ZODB
anyway, someone in the community may well want to try s/1/2/g on the ZODB
code base and see what happens <0.7 wink>.  A lot of hard work went into
proto 2:

    http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0307.html

and it's really a shame it isn't being used (especially since Zope Corp paid
for this development).  I expect Zope3 uses "new style" classes more heavily
than Zope2, and proto 2 has major improvements for new-style class instance
pickling independent of the extension-code gimmick.