[ZODB-Dev] OID length

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Fri Dec 9 11:23:38 EST 2005

[Tim]
>> You should believe whatever Jim tells you ;-)

[Jim]
> Hey, what's the wink for?

I was just flirting with Florent ;-)

> I thought this was settled in:
>
>    http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zodb-dev/2005-March/008593.html
>
> which also mentions the requirement that oids must have len > 0. :)

Hey, nobody objected to that!  I (obviously) forgot all about that.  Done
deal, then -- thanks for the reminder.

> We should really document this in IPersistent.

I changed it just now on the trunk, to:

    _p_oid = Attribute(
        """The object id.

        It is up to the data manager to assign this.
        The special value None is reserved to indicate that an object
        id has not been assigned.  Non-None object ids must be non-empty
        strings.  The 8-byte string '\0'*8 (8 NUL bytes) is reserved to
        identify the database root object.
        """)

The ZODB release manager should feel encouraged to backport it ;-)