[ZODB-Dev] OID length

Florent Guillaume fg at nuxeo.com
Fri Dec 9 11:45:17 EST 2005

On 9 Dec 2005, at 16:46, Tim Peters wrote:
>> I'm asking because I'm planning a pretty complex storage layer, which
>> would benefit from more complex OIDs (for instance bigger strings, or
>> tuples of (str, int)).
>
> An oid is a low-level implementation thingie, and IMO that's
> probably not
> the right place to put complexity.  If you don't expect to have
> more than
> 2**N objects, an oid that requires more than N bits is in some sense
> extravagant ;-).  In any case, you should be able to use "bigger
> strings"
> now without changing anything.

Oh I agree, but if my storage (think SQL) has internally other kinds
of identifiers, like autoincremented integer primary keys, and
several tables depending on object kind, I want to reuse its concepts
and pack them into an oid like 'footable_12345'.

Anyway thanks for the answers, I know in what direction to move now.

Florent

+33 1 40 33 71 59   http://nuxeo.com   fg at nuxeo.com