[ZODB-Dev] OID length

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Fri Dec 9 15:32:13 EST 2005

Tim Peters wrote:
> [Shane Hathaway]
>>It can do this because it has to provide its own DB and Connection
>>objects anyway.
>

> I trust that's for more reasons than _just_ because it doesn't want to use
> '\0'*8 as the root-object oid.

It's for uniformity.  In Ape, the strategy for choosing OIDs is
pluggable, and the plugin that chooses OIDs has the opportunity to
choose the root OID.  Otherwise the root OID would be a special case
that every OID chooser would have to be aware of.

However, I wouldn't have gone to this effort if it weren't so easy.
There's very little code that cares what the root OID is.

Shane