[ZODB-Dev] Heads-up: Test failure on trunk/Python 2.4.2/OS X

Dario Lopez-Kästen dario at ita.chalmers.se
Thu Dec 15 02:54:41 EST 2005

Dmitry Vasiliev wrote:

> Sure, but my reasonable assumption was that when you insert an exception
> message in a doctest you reread it another one time and fix typos if
> any. I'll be more careful in the future about such assumptions.

Without meaning to sound condescending (which certainly is not my
intention):

Rule number one of problem solving:
     """ Never assume anything """

Rule number two:
     """ Every assumption is wrong """

In fact, I have learned the very, very hard way over the last 20 years
or so (I've got scars to show) that this applies to *everything*, and
particularly to the field of computer problem solving, regardless of
whether it is code, hw/sw or user interaction.

/dario

Lyrics applied to programming & application design:
"emancipate yourself from mental slavery" - redemption song, b. marley