[ZODB-Dev] Query Regrading ZODB FileStorage(.fs file)

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Sat Dec 31 03:29:55 EST 2005

Please always stay on the list!

Monica chopra wrote at 2005-12-30 19:22 -0800:
>  Thanks for responding but can clarify more about how to do that. How can i make an ecrypted file.
>Dieter Maurer <dieter at handshake.de> wrote:
>  Monica chopra wrote at 2005-12-29 18:17 -0800:
>It would not be difficult to implement an "EncryptedFileStorage".

A file storage is a sequence of transaction logs.
Currently, it writes the transaction log in clear text.
An "EncryptedFileStorage" would instead write and (later) read
(partially) encrypted log entries. For the details, you
would need to carefully look at how "FileStorage" works.

But, have you read (and appreciated) my objection?
I repeat:

  Why is it significantly easier to protect the key[s]
  used for the encryption than the storage itself?

If this is indeed the case for you, you might find the use
of an encrypted filesystem even more attractive: there
all your files (and not only part of the storage file) are
encrypted. Of course, key handling will remain an issue...

--
Dieter