[ZODB-Dev] Finding objects by attribute value?

Christian Robottom Reis kiko at async.com.br
Wed Jan 5 06:06:47 EST 2005

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 02:56:50AM -0500, Leif K-Brooks wrote:
> >As Christian Reis implied, unless you also build your own indexing objects
> >to speed such searches, brute force is the only approach.
> >
> The speed of a brute-force search isn't terrible when I'm using
> FileStorage; actually, it seems a bit faster than an equivalent MySQL
> search. The big performance problem comes when using ZEO, since each and
> every object has to be transported across the network. What would be
> really neat is if I could somehow ask the ZEO server to perform a
> brute-force search of the OOBTree containing my objects and only send me
> the relevant objects. Is there any way to do that?

Not currently (that I am aware of). This is something I would *love* to
see implemented in IndexedCatalog, but it requires some thinking time. I
do believe I could convince Johan to do it, but I'd need a pretext and a
plan for it.

I'll put it down as something to consider this month.

Take care,
--
Christian Robottom Reis | http://async.com.br/~kiko/ | [+55 16] 3361 2331