[ZODB-Dev] Finding objects by attribute value?

Christian Robottom Reis kiko at async.com.br
Thu Jan 6 06:26:17 EST 2005

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 02:32:54PM -0500, Tim Peters wrote:
> This suggests to me that you're dealing with relatively small databases,
> and/or a relatively small collection of objects.  Unpickling N objects to
> find M of them matching some criterion obviously doesn't scale as N grows
> ever larger than M, ZEO or not.  Indexing does scale, although it's not even
> easy to craft scalable indexing schemes.

Do you think a server-side indexing mechanism with query caching could
be a significant performance enhancement? I'm sure you don't *know*, but
your opinion would be interesting to have here.

> -- it doesn't have an expectation that it *can* unpickle objects of
> user-defined classes, so rarely ever tries to (user-defined conflict
> resolution methods are an exception, and the only one I can think of).
[...]
> to accept and service brute-force search requests.  You'd also need to
> ensure that the code implementing your classes was available to this program
> (not normally needed on a ZEO server box)

Except in the case of conflict resolution, right?

I imagine that if we didn't handle brute-force searching in the server
and indexing was implemented, then all that would be needed on the
server was the code implementing the indexes themselves; the actual
objects returned by a query would go on being opaque to the server.

Take care,
--
Christian Robottom Reis | http://async.com.br/~kiko/ | [+55 16] 3361 2331