[ZODB-Dev] how big can a ZODB get?

Christian Robottom Reis kiko at async.com.br
Wed Jan 12 03:08:37 EST 2005

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 01:21:02AM -0500, Victor Ng wrote:
> Has anyone tested to see how large a ZODB can get in terms of number of objects?
>
> How much RAM should I expect to have to get acceptable performance for
> a large number of objects, say somewhere around 200,000->1,000,000 ?
> Can ZODB even grow that large?

Sure. At a customer site, we have a ZODB that has catalogs
(IndexedCatalog-based abstractions that use BTree indexes) of the
following size:

    > len(FinancialBookEntryCatalog)
    103196
    > len(PaymentBookEntryCatalog)
    62837
    > len(PaymentCatalog)
    130797

There are dozens of other catalogs. Many objects have surrogate objects,
which would likely cause an N-fold increase in the actual number of
objects in the ZODB; each index key also holds an IOSet, which would
make up another large number of objects.

This FileStorage is about 2gigs when packed. We use the ZEO, of course
(each client application, desktop GUI tools in fact).

Take care,
--
Christian Robottom Reis | http://async.com.br/~kiko/ | [+55 16] 3361 2331