[ZODB-Dev] how big can a ZODB get?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Jan 12 13:14:31 EST 2005

Victor Ng wrote:
> Ok - so documentation is sparse, is there a set classes in the ZODB
> that I should look at for tuning?  I've generated an epydoc for ZODB
> 3.3 to help me poke through the code as a starting guide for myself.

You want to tune the cache_size parameter given to the constructor
to the DB class, when creating your database object in Python.
This parameter sets a *target* cache size, in number of objects,
per connection.  It is very imprecise because:

- Cache cleaning only happens at transaction boundaries
   and other discrete points, so it's not uncommon for the
   object cache to grow much larger than the target size.

- The unit, number of objects, is loosly correlated to
   memory consumption.

Jim