[ZODB-Dev] BTree memory bomb

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Jan 19 07:34:12 EST 2005

Tim Peters wrote:
> [Simon Burton]

> - If you want a web cache like, say, Squid, use Squid.

Unless he wants a feature that squid doesn't provide.

> - You'll eventually want to use ZEO,

I expect not for a web cache.

>   and storing large blobs of text
>   in ZODB is problematic for several reasons, partly that using ZEO
>   to transport large blobs of text across a network isn't particularly
>   efficient.

How large?  Web pages aren't that large.  Python tar balls are. :)

 >   I'm not sure you _do_ want to store large blobs of text,
>   but if you do, schemes other than direct storage of giant strings
>   should be considered.  For example, store file paths, and then you
>   can naturally exploit your operating system's file caching.

At some point, I *very much* want blob support in ZODB and ZEO.
People often do want to deal with large blocks of data in Zope, and
I'm convinced we can do much better, at both the ZODB and the publisher
layers.

This might be a sprint topic at PyCon.

Jim