[ZODB-Dev] Discrete synchronization with ZEO

Arve Knudsen aknuds-1 at broadpark.no
Wed Apr 26 14:53:58 EDT 2006

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 22:31:36 +0300, Dieter Maurer <dieter at handshake.de>
wrote:

> Arve Knudsen wrote at 2006-4-25 22:07 +0300:
>> I must say I'm not an expert on all things ZODB/ZEO, but what I meant by
>> ownership is the management of persistent objects. The cache management
>> logic of ZODB can the way I understand it "ghostify" objects, what
>> happens
>> if I insert an object from one ZODB (using ClientStorage) into another
>> (using local storage)? Which of the databases will control the
>> ghostifying/unghostifying of the object?
>
> Ghostifying is a connection (not a database) notion.
> Each connection controls its own [un]ghostifying.
>
> After you copied an object from one database to another,
> the other's connections control [un]ghostifying of the copy
> and the original's connections that of the original.

Well, this is pretty obvious if I deep copy the objects of course. What
happens if I insert references to objects contained in the ZEO-served
database into another database, though, will they be controlled by this
second database (or the connection to it rather)? I.e. if I want to
locally cache objects obtained from a ZEO-served database, I can simply
insert them into a local database?

Arve